About This Site

Each month I select 20 songs (10 songs twice a month) that I am either hooked on or am curious about. Most of the music I select are rock, hip-hop, R&B and pop songs.

My song selection comes from 20-30 CDs I get from various sources each month, as well as recommendations from iTunes and Amazon. I also check out the charts in US, UK and Japan.

June 29, 2007

Rihanna - Umbrella /ft. Jay-Z

Album: Good Girl Gone Bad

How does Rihanna do it? She is not even that great of a singer, but every summer, she comes out with infectiously addicting songs. This one is slower paced than “Pon De Replay” or “S.O.S.” and it sounds more mature. Jay-Z starts off with a couple of verses, and I waited for him to do something else in the middle, but he doesn’t. Actually this song is good enough that it doesn’t need Jigga’s verse in the middle. I heard that this song was initially written for Britney, and then it was passed to Mary J. Blige (I would love to hear her version sometime), and finally landed on Rihanna.

No comments: