About This Site

Each month I select 20 songs (10 songs twice a month) that I am either hooked on or am curious about. Most of the music I select are rock, hip-hop, R&B and pop songs.

My song selection comes from 20-30 CDs I get from various sources each month, as well as recommendations from iTunes and Amazon. I also check out the charts in US, UK and Japan.

May 15, 2010

Sasquatch Festival 2010 (Sat)

Sasquatch festival is back again this year. Compared to previous years, the lineup celebrates more indie music. I won’t be attending this year, as I wasn’t that impressed with the lineup, but for those who are going, maybe this guide can help you a bit.
Saturday, May 29th lineup is headlined by jam band, My Morning Jacket. I was disappointed that Wale was pulled out of the lineup at last minute. Deadmau5’s performance well into the late night could be an interesting treat. My “must-see” recommendation for Saturday lineup is UK folk rock band, Mumford & Sons.



Mumford & Sons - The Cave

Album: Sigh No More

Out of all the good lineup on Saturday, Mumford & Sons are probably my favorite. This UK folk band grabbed my heart with their first single, “Little Lion Man” and with their cover of Vampire Weekend’s “Cousins” recently, I am now a huge fan. I wish that I can see them at a smaller venue, but seeing them during the day at the Gorge might be a lot of fun as well.

Nada Surf - Weightless

Album: Lucky

In the past several years, Nada Surf have become a rock festival band. Every year, they seem to be performing on the festival circuit. That must be paying off as “Popular,” their 1996 major hit is no longer their most downloaded song on iTunes. They are supposed to be releasing a new album this summer.

Deadmau5 - Hi Friend! /ft. MC Flipside

Album: For Lack Of A Better Name

Daft Punk became a household name in the electro-dance genre ten years ago. I can’t really think of anyone else that has turned as huge as Daft Punk on an international level, but Deadmau5 could be next. The Canadian electro house producer is on a right track, as he had just won Juno Award (Canadian version of the Grammys) for Best Dance album.

The National – Sorrow

Album: High Violet

To be honest, I’m not a huge fan of The National. I can tell that they make good music, but I tend to get bored and sleepy with their music. I should mention that they have recently released their fifth album, titled High Violet, which received my praises from music critics worldwide.

Vampire Weekend - Giving Up The Gun

Album: Contra

Vampire Weekend has proven that they are going to be around for a while by releasing a solid second album. Their first single from Contra, “Cousins” got a decent airplay (and a kickass cover by Mumford & Sons – could there be collaboration between these two bands at Sasquatch?). The second single, “Giving Up the Gun” isn’t as catchy, but the video is a lot of fun with lots of guest stars such as hiphop star Rza and Lil Jon as well as Joe Jonas and Jake Gyllenhaal.

My Morning Jacket - I'm Amazed

Album: Evil Urges

I’ve read and heard the name, My Morning Jacket and its lead singer Jim James a lot, but I’ve actually never really listened to any of their music before. Considering that they are supposed to be closing the night, they must have quite a following. I think I will start out by their most famous single thus far, “I’m Amazed” and slowly get to know them better. I like what I hear so far.

No comments: