About This Site

Each month I select 20 songs (10 songs twice a month) that I am either hooked on or am curious about. Most of the music I select are rock, hip-hop, R&B and pop songs.

My song selection comes from 20-30 CDs I get from various sources each month, as well as recommendations from iTunes and Amazon. I also check out the charts in US, UK and Japan.

August 14, 2008

Garbage - All The Good In This Life

Album: Songs For Tibet - The Art of Peace

I would’ve never really paid attention to this album, except that my favorite band, Garbage was contributing a song. These charity CDs are for the good cause, but I’m sorry to say this, most of the time these “benefit” songs aren’t very good, as if they are leftover from artist’s stash, which generally is (but the US Olympics CD is really good).

But I found many interesting comments on the iTunes customer review. A lot of Chinese people ranted and rated the album 1 star. Some mentioned about how Americans are clueless and don’t know that Tibetans have had slaves and have been murderers, or that freeing Tibet from China is like separating New York from the US. I’ve never fully understood what is going on in Tibet, but I wonder if anybody has all the details. Something tells me that Americans probably don’t know all of the Tibetan history (it’s probably somewhat skewed), and Chinese people probably also has somewhat skewed view of Tibet as well.

But the bottom line is that these songs are supposed to represent peace. If only peace can sound much more upbeat and fun, I may be able to enjoy this CD. I’m at least contributing my 99 cent for this track by Garbage, which was originally used as a B-side.

No comments: