About This Site

Each month I select 20 songs (10 songs twice a month) that I am either hooked on or am curious about. Most of the music I select are rock, hip-hop, R&B and pop songs.

My song selection comes from 20-30 CDs I get from various sources each month, as well as recommendations from iTunes and Amazon. I also check out the charts in US, UK and Japan.

April 14, 2008

Fall Out Boy – Beat It /ft. John Mayer

Album: Live in Phoenix

Earlier this month, Fall Out Boy released a live album with DVD which includes all the music videos from the past. It’s a live album, but somehow right smack in middle of the track list is this studio recorded cover version of Michael Jackson’s “Beat It.” Why there is a studio recording right in middle of the CD is beyond me, but it’s the only thing on the album, as, I hate to say it, the rest of the album sounds awful. I’ve enjoyed Fall Out Boy’s music and haven’t seen them live, but was never impressed with their live performances on TV. I wonder how diehard Fall Out Boy fans think of this awful sounding live album. Going back to this song, John Mayer is featured, but only as a guitarist, and he does a superb job. I think I like him when he doesn’t sing and just plays the guitar, like when he supported Alicia Key’s performance on the Grammy’s this year.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

nice cover, overall the covers recently on the blog have been really refreshing

Tako said...

I saw them perform this song at last year's Summer Sonic (without John Mayer). It was one of the most memorable moments from the festival. Very upbeat and energetic, although quite different from MJ's original.