About This Site

Each month I select 20 songs (10 songs twice a month) that I am either hooked on or am curious about. Most of the music I select are rock, hip-hop, R&B and pop songs.

My song selection comes from 20-30 CDs I get from various sources each month, as well as recommendations from iTunes and Amazon. I also check out the charts in US, UK and Japan.

April 14, 2008

Petty Booka – Bla Bla Bla Cha Cha Cha

Album: Dancing With Petty Booka

Last month, I went to see a show called Japan Nite, where half a dozen Japanese Indies band performed at a small livehouse. I guess they toured across the States performing at various big cities. I’ve never heard of any of these bands before: Scandal, Detroit 7, The Beaches, The Emeralds and Petty Booka, but apparently Petty Booka is fairly famous in the underground (?) market. Petty Booka consists of two Japanese female singers and they both play the ukulele. When they sing, they sing in that cutesy Japanese girly voice that they almost sound like they belong in the movie The Chipmunks. But the concept is cute as they cover traditional American songs using ukuleles. I selected this song, but they don’t really sound like this on the other songs. Check out songs like, “Puka Puka Pants” or “Ukulele Lady” on iTunes or Amazon and you’ll know what I mean. They didn’t perform this song live, but I feel like I know this song from some movie. I want to say, the jazz singer performed this on Lost In Translation, but I don’t know if that’s it. Anyone know where it’s from? I also found out that the girls I saw at Japan Nite are the new third generation of Petty Booka (meaning completely different from the ones that recorded the album in the past)

No comments: