About This Site

Each month I select 20 songs (10 songs twice a month) that I am either hooked on or am curious about. Most of the music I select are rock, hip-hop, R&B and pop songs.

My song selection comes from 20-30 CDs I get from various sources each month, as well as recommendations from iTunes and Amazon. I also check out the charts in US, UK and Japan.

July 17, 2010

Fuji Rock Festival 2010 (Sat)

The second day at Fuji Rock might seem like the least impressive lineup, but how often will you get to check out legendary band Roxy Music or Creedence man, John Fogerty perform his greatest hits. Saturday also features current “it” band such as MGMT as well as jazz-pop sensation Jamie Cullum. Other bands not mentioned below, and worth noting are 22-20s, Parachute and Kula Shaker.




Third Eye Blind – Blinded (When I See You)

Album: Out Of The Vein

Really? Third Eye Blind will be performing at the White Stage in the afternoon? It’s been 13 years since their mega hit debut self-titled album which had people singing along to, “Semi-Charmed Life”, “How’s It Going to Be” and “Jumper.” Since then, they haven’t had much hits. Their latest effort, Ursa major from last year didn’t generate any top 40 hits. But if they are going to be playing a lot of their older hits, I’d like to see them at the White Stage.

Jamie Cullum - Wheels

Album: The Pursuit

Jamie Cullum is a British singer songwriter who is classified as a jazz musician. But don’t think of him as a boring guy playing for only older folks. He taps his foot and plays cover songs like White Stripe’s “Sven Nation Army” or Kanye West’s “Gold Digger.” He should be a fun person to check out live.

John Fogerty - The Old Man Down The Road

Album: Centerfield

Some of you may know him as the lead singer of Creedence Clearwater Revival from the 60s. Or some of you may know him as the guy who sings, “Centerfield.” But one thing to note is that he has so many hits from his band and solo career that his performance on the Green Stage right around the sunset time should be a treat for all of us.

One Day As A Lion - Wild International

Album: One Day As A Lion - EP

I wondered what would happen to One Day As A Lion. They are a group formed by Rage Against the Machine vocalist, Zack de la Rocha, and Mars Volta’s drummer, Jon Theodore. They released an EP album in 2008, which had a decent rock hit with, “Wild International.” But they sort of disappeared after that. They should put on an exciting show on the White Stage from 8:20pm.

Roxy Music - More Than This

Album: Avalon

To be honest, I don’t know much about a band called, Roxy Music, except for the song, “More Than This.” Which I seem to hear on numerous occasions (mostly commercials, maybe?) They are a British rock band, lead by Bryan Ferry, and at one point included Brian Eno, who is now famous for producing for U2 and Coldplay. They will be rocking on the Green Stage, but I will most likely just check them out a bit after One Day As A Lion show ends.

Flogging Molly - If I Ever Leave This World Alive

Album: Drunken Lullabies

This song by the Irish-American rock band, Flogging Molly is a crowd favorite at their live shows. It was used in the 2007 romantic film called “PS I Love You”. They will be the closing act at the Red Marquee. I suggest you check them out just before MGMT.

MGMT - The Handshake

Album: Oracular Spectacular

I still haven’t gotten myself to go get MGMT’s latest album (though I own the first two singles), but that may be because their debut album Oracular Spectacular was so spectacular that I can still listen to all of their songs. They have gotten some press that they are not that entertaining live, but I’ve always enjoyed their shows. Catch them close the White Stage from 10pm. It should be a trippy show in the dark.

No comments: