About This Site

Each month I select 20 songs (10 songs twice a month) that I am either hooked on or am curious about. Most of the music I select are rock, hip-hop, R&B and pop songs.

My song selection comes from 20-30 CDs I get from various sources each month, as well as recommendations from iTunes and Amazon. I also check out the charts in US, UK and Japan.

March 15, 2009

A.R. Rahman - Jai Ho /ft. Sukhvinder Singh, Tanvi Shah & Mahalaxmi Iyer

Album: Slumdog Millionaire Soundtrack

Slumdog Millionaire was a big winner at this year’s Academy Award. This song was also awarded Best Original Song award at the Oscars. A.R. Rahman is a renowned Indian film music composer. “Jai Ho”, which means “victory” is mostly sung in Hindi language with bit of Spanish in some parts. I’m not quite sure why Spanish is included on the song. With the success of the film, The Pussycat Dolls recorded an English version, which is doing well on the chart. I thought about selecting that version, but I figured the original would be better. I feel like I’ve been selecting a lot of foreign language artists and songs in recent months.

No comments: