About This Site

Each month I select 20 songs (10 songs twice a month) that I am either hooked on or am curious about. Most of the music I select are rock, hip-hop, R&B and pop songs.

My song selection comes from 20-30 CDs I get from various sources each month, as well as recommendations from iTunes and Amazon. I also check out the charts in US, UK and Japan.

March 15, 2009

Phish - Gumbo [Live]

Album: 2009/03/07 I Hampton, VA

no sample
I never got into Phish, but I can see how so many people could get hooked on this band. They are a popular jam band, often compared to The Grateful Dead. Most of their fans will tell you that don’t bother listening to their studio albums, because they shine during a live show, where they jam and improvise, sometimes extending a three minute song into a thirty minute jam session. In 2004, Phish broke up to pursue solo career and other projects. I actually saw Trey Anastasio perform live at Bumbershoot festival one year during their breakup. Earlier this month, Phish got back together for a three night weekend concert. What was most impressive was that, the band recorded all of the three shows and uploaded free MP3 of the entire concert on their livephish.com website. MP3 was available within a day after the concert, and they were available for free. Now that is being dedicated to the fans. On this song, toward the end, you can hear the band jam and improvise. I especially like when the keyboardist goes off to wraps up the song.

No comments: