About This Site

Each month I select 20 songs (10 songs twice a month) that I am either hooked on or am curious about. Most of the music I select are rock, hip-hop, R&B and pop songs.

My song selection comes from 20-30 CDs I get from various sources each month, as well as recommendations from iTunes and Amazon. I also check out the charts in US, UK and Japan.

March 15, 2009

Duffy - Live And Let Die

Album: War Child Presents Heroes

The proceed from this album goes toward children affected by war. The CD liner notes states “66% of all people killed by war are children.” That is a lot, and a scary number to think about. What’s unique about this CD is that they asked legendary musicians such as Paul McCartney, Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan, U2, etc to nominate today’s artist to cover one of their classic songs. It’s interesting seeing just some of the names that show up on the album as Beck, Lily Allen, Franz Ferdinand, Elbow and Estelle are nominated to interpret classic songs from the past. My favorite track from the album was Duffy’s cover of Paul McCartney and The Wings classic, “Live And Let Die.” Duffy is a kind of artist that could probably sing anything, and sound good, and yet original at the same time (Duffy covered, Hot Chip’s “Ready For the Floor” last year).

1 comment:

Way said...

her voice seems to sound very different in different songs. i like this but my fav is still warwick ave