About This Site

Each month I select 20 songs (10 songs twice a month) that I am either hooked on or am curious about. Most of the music I select are rock, hip-hop, R&B and pop songs.

My song selection comes from 20-30 CDs I get from various sources each month, as well as recommendations from iTunes and Amazon. I also check out the charts in US, UK and Japan.

June 12, 2009

Rick Ross - Mafia Music

Album: Deeper Than Rap

I’ve never really thought of Rick Ross as a prime rapper. Sure, he’s had moderate success on the rap chart, but his third album, Deeper Than Rap is actually quite good. “Mafia Music” is the opening track on the album, and unlike most songs, it has no hooks or chorus. Ross just raps and tries to claim his significance. He has a lot to prove as his past as a corrections officer was recently uncovered. That may not seem like a big deal, but to rappers, who feud with cops, corrections officer would put you on the wrong side. Recently he had beef with 50 Cent since he looked at him the wrong way at the BET Award. On this track, Ross disses 50 by rapping “I love to pay her bills/can’t wait to pay her rent/Curtis Jackson baby mama/I aint askin for a cent/Burn the house down/gotta buy another/don’t forget the gas can/jealous, stupid muthafucka.” With beef with 50 and his past as corrections officer aside, the album has slick production, and this track although not the most upbeat tempo, gets you pumped up.

No comments: