About This Site

Each month I select 20 songs (10 songs twice a month) that I am either hooked on or am curious about. Most of the music I select are rock, hip-hop, R&B and pop songs.

My song selection comes from 20-30 CDs I get from various sources each month, as well as recommendations from iTunes and Amazon. I also check out the charts in US, UK and Japan.

July 13, 2009

Fuji Rock Festival 2009 (Sun)

If I could only choose one day to attend Fuji Rock Festival 2009, I’d probably choose Sunday, mostly for Weezer, Fall Out Boy and Jimmy Eat World. Actually all the artists I mention down below plus Street Sweeper Social Club would be worth the admission. Not sure if I can stay up to catch Basement Jaxx though, who would be coming on around midnight. Here's my review (or preview) of who I would see at Fuji Rock Festival on Sunday 7/26.


Cobra Starship - Good Girls Go Bad /ft. Leighton Meester

Album: Hot Mess

This latest single from New York band, Cobra Starship features Leighton Meester, who is a star on Gossip Girl. The track is a leading single off of their new album to be released in mid August, and was produced by Kevin Rudolf and Kara DioGuardi. It is doing well on the chart. They are also known to put on fun show.

The Airborne Toxic Event - Wishing Well

Album: The Airborne Toxic Event

Thanks to the successful single, “Something Around Midnight” they are doing really well. In fact, their tour is so successful that lead singer (former writer) Mikel Jollett hasn’t had time to work on his novel. The second single hasn’t been announced yet, but this is one of my favorites from their album. Anytime a group has a violinist in the group, it’s cool to check them out live.

Jimmy Eat World - Always Be

Album: Chase This Light

I haven’t heard much about them since the release of “Chase This Light” album in 2007, which contains this catchy track, “Always Be.” Actually early this year, they went on tour to play their “Clarity” album in its entirely from beginning to an end to commemorate its 10th anniversary. “Bleed American” was the first album I got into, so I don’t know any songs from “Clarity”

Fall Out Boy - America's Suitehearts

Album: Folie A Deux

I wasn’t a huge fan of their last album, “Folie A Deux” which contains this somewhat forgettable single. It was recently remixed by Blink-182 bassist Mark Hoppus, which sounds softer with piano in it. I haven’t had a chance to see them live, so it would be cool to check them out at a festival like Fuji Rock.

Weezer - The Greatest Man That Ever Lived (Variations On A Shaker Hymn)

Album: Weezer (Red Album)

Is this Weezer’s version of My Chemical Romance’s “Welcome to the Black Parade” or Green Day’s “Jesus of Suburbia”? Compared to their usual catchy pop rock, they attempted more of epic rock. I heard them perform this live, and they sounded good.

Royksopp - What Else Is There?

Album: The Understanding

I had never heard of these guys from Norway before until I saw that they are closing on the white stage for Sunday night, and realized that they must be quite popular to do so. After hearing some song clips, I began to like their music. Is Norway the next Sweden for good music (well, so far just Ida Maria and Royksopp, but… who knows in the near future!) This was my favorite track, which featured vocal from The Knife’s Karin Dreijer Andersson.

Basement Jaxx - Good Luck /ft. Lisa Kekaula

Album: Kish Kash

Recently UK dance duo, Basement Jaxx has announced that their new album will be released in October. The new set will include various guest vocalist ranging from Yoko Ono, Sam Sparro and Santigold. The first single from the new album, “Raindrops” is already doing quite well in the UK chart. I haven’t really listened to them since their hit album “Rooty” (containing songs like “Romeo” and “Where’s Your Head At.” Going back to some of their other recent songs, I came across this single from 2003.

No comments: