About This Site

Each month I select 20 songs (10 songs twice a month) that I am either hooked on or am curious about. Most of the music I select are rock, hip-hop, R&B and pop songs.

My song selection comes from 20-30 CDs I get from various sources each month, as well as recommendations from iTunes and Amazon. I also check out the charts in US, UK and Japan.

August 13, 2009

Brendan Benson - A Whole Lot Better

Album: My Old, Familiar Friend

A lot of people, like me, has never heard of Brendan Benson until he joined forces with Jack White to form The Raconteurs. “My Old, Familiar Friend” is his fourth solo album, and he has specifically asked the record label to not put the sticker “member of The Raconteurs” on the album. He doesn’t want people to purchase the album just because he’s associated with Jack White. He pointed out that The Raconteurs fan maybe disappointed as his albums are more pop oriented. A song like, “A Whole Lot Better” is a well crafted pop rock song. Hearing Benson’s solo album reminded me that The Raconteurs success is not all because of White’s talent, but Benson’s pop sensibility deserve just as much of a credit as well.

No comments: