About This Site

Each month I select 20 songs (10 songs twice a month) that I am either hooked on or am curious about. Most of the music I select are rock, hip-hop, R&B and pop songs.

My song selection comes from 20-30 CDs I get from various sources each month, as well as recommendations from iTunes and Amazon. I also check out the charts in US, UK and Japan.

June 29, 2008

Katy Perry – I Kissed A Girl

Album: One of the Boys

First, she sung about straight boys being gay in “Ur So Gay”, and now she’s singing about kissing a girl and how she liked it because it tasted like cherry chapstick. She succeeds with this gender-bending message song again, this time even greater because it ended up being the #1 song in the nation. Not only that, “I Kissed A Girl” became the 1000th #1 in the rock era (which started in 1955 by Bill Haley’s ‘Rock Around the Clock’). It would be interesting to see what kind of single would be released next.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

such a romantic song!
love it :)

Tako said...

I think it's very arguable that the current scene should still be considered to be part of the rock era given that half the songs on the chart are not exactly rock songs..

Technicality aside, love the song, catchy and definitely works!