About This Site

Each month I select 20 songs (10 songs twice a month) that I am either hooked on or am curious about. Most of the music I select are rock, hip-hop, R&B and pop songs.

My song selection comes from 20-30 CDs I get from various sources each month, as well as recommendations from iTunes and Amazon. I also check out the charts in US, UK and Japan.

April 29, 2009

Asher Roth - Be Be Myself /ft. Cee-Lo

Album: Asleep In The Bread Isle

Asher Roth was one of the most talked about rappers in early 2009 (along with Kid Cudi). It’s hard to find an article that doesn’t compare him with Eminem, because he’s a white rapper. Roth is flattered by the comparison, but claims he’s not as angry as Slim Shady, and that he’s a laid back kid from the suburbs that likes to party. He even has a song called “As I Em”. His single, “I Love College” is getting a lot of attention, but I didn’t think that song showcased any rapping (more or less he’s just talking). His debut album has solid songs, and Roth is a decent rapper, but on a song that features Busta Rhymes (“Lion’s Roar”), the difference between a seasoned rapper and newcomer clearly shows. This track from the album was one of my favorites, and has great hook sung by Gnarls Barkley’s Cee-Lo.

No comments: