About This Site

Each month I select 20 songs (10 songs twice a month) that I am either hooked on or am curious about. Most of the music I select are rock, hip-hop, R&B and pop songs.

My song selection comes from 20-30 CDs I get from various sources each month, as well as recommendations from iTunes and Amazon. I also check out the charts in US, UK and Japan.

October 14, 2008

Weezer – King

Album: Weezer (Red Album)

I just saw Weezer perform live on their tour along with Angels & Airwaves and Tokyo Police Club. It was a fun concert, which you would expect from these guys. They played most of their hit songs from their long career as well as new ones such as "Pork & Beans" and "Troublemaker". For “Beverly Hills”, they brought out local music students with various instruments and performed. They even covered Nirvana’s, “Sliver.”

On Weezer’s latest album, every single member has at least one lead vocal song. One of my favorites of non Rivers Cuomo vocal songs is “King” which is only included on the deluxe version. It was written by Rivers, but during the final cut of the album, it didn’t get voted. The track happened to be bass player, Scott Shriner’s favorite, and he insisted the song get on the album. Rivers then suggested that if Scott likes the song so much, he should sing it, and so he did, and although it didn’t make it on the regular edition, it’s on the deluxe edition, and it is also one of my favorite tracks. The sound is a little darker than the usual upbeat Weezer songs.

No comments: