About This Site

Each month I select 20 songs (10 songs twice a month) that I am either hooked on or am curious about. Most of the music I select are rock, hip-hop, R&B and pop songs.

My song selection comes from 20-30 CDs I get from various sources each month, as well as recommendations from iTunes and Amazon. I also check out the charts in US, UK and Japan.

May 10, 2008

Sasquatch Festival 2008 (Sun)

Since I've missed seeing Tegan and Sara on several occasions, I'm looking forward to their show the most. The Presidents always put on a fun show, so that would be a good one to see again. Since I limited myself to reviewing only 10 artists per day, but I'd like to add here that I'm also looking forward to seeing Blue Scholars.

The Cure - Close To Me

Album: The Head On The Door

The Cure is supposedly releasing a new album in September of this year (but who knows they’ve been delaying a lot). They are also releasing a new single every month starting May 13th. The Head on the Door is their 6th album from 1985. Two years ago, the deluxe edition of the album was released.

Death Cab For Cutie - I Will Possess Your Heart

Album: Narrow Stairs

This song is actually over 8 and half minutes long. The intro, which sounds pretty cool lasts about 4 and half minutes. I see Death Cab as a fairly new band, but this album, Narrow Stairs is already their sixth album. I’ve never been that big of fan of their music, but I like this song as it’s more upbeat and sounds less wussy.

The Presidents Of The United States Of America - French Girl

Album: These Are The Good Times People

Four years after releasing their last album, Love Everybody (which contained the single, Some Postman), the Seattle rock group has released another fun album. I reviewed their first single from this album, Mixed Up S.O.B. a couple of months ago. This song was offered for free on Amazon MP3 to celebrate the release of their new album.

Tegan And Sara - Burn Your Life Down

Album: The Con

Tegan And Sara is one of my favorite female rock musicians. I really wanted to see them last year, but was sad to see that the tickets were all sold out. Since both Tegan and Sara are lesbians, a lot of their fan bases are also lesbians, but hopefully they won’t hate me for liking their music, too. This song is from their fifth studio album, The Con, which also includes the songs, "Back In Your Head" and "The Con". I love it when they sing and harmonize.

Cold War Kids - Hang Me Up To Dry

Album: Robbers & Cowards

Cold War Kids first caught my attention since one of their songs were free on iTunes. They have a bit of bluesy sound to their rock music, which kind of reminds me of the White Stripes. Their debut album, Robbers & Cowards was released in 2006. Even though they are Americans, I think they are more popular in the UK.

Michael Franti & Spearhead - I Know I'm Not Alone

Album: Yell Fire!

It’s hard to label a genre for Michael Franti & Spearhead as they combine hip-hop, rock, funk, reggae and folk music. I haven’t heard much of his music before, but after listening to several tracks, it really is hard to label him as a lot of the songs sounds completely different. I read that Michael Franti was adopted at birth by white parents. A lot of his songs are socially conscious.

The Blakes - Don't Bother Me

Album: The Blakes

Will The Blakes break into the mainstream radio? A lot of people in Seattle have been saying that they are going to be the next big thing. Their song, “Two Times” which I reviewed last October has been featured as free single at Amazon and iTunes, which is a sign that they (or at least the labels) are pushing themselves. I’ve missed my chance of seeing them live, so I’m looking forward to their show.

Rogue Wave - Eyes

Album: Just Friends Soundtrack

Their current hit, “Lake Michigan” is still a hit on the rock radio station. Their previous hit was this song, “Eyes” which was featured on Just Friends movie soundtrack (I never saw the movie). As I’ve stated before, a lot of their songs get used on TVs and movies a lot. This song doesn’t seem to belong to any of their albums, and is only available through this soundtrack or as a single on iTunes.

Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks - Gardenia

Album: Real Emotional Trash

Stephen Malkmus is a former member of the band, Pavement, which was recently voted as the #1 indie rock band of all time by Blender magazine. I was never into (or wasn’t aware of) Pavement, so I don’t know much about Malkmus either, but apparently the drummer of The Jicks is Janet Weiss, who used to drum for Sleater-Kinney.

The Kooks - Naive

Album: Inside In / Inside Out

The Kooks consist of four young English guys from Brighton. This song was apparently written when the member, Luke Pritchard was only 16 years old. This song and their debut album, Inside In/Inside Out has been quite popular in the UK, but I don’t think people in the US have caught on to them yet. I think this song was free on iTunes at one point, and also used in One Tree Hill (TV show).

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great song, but you gotta hear it for a while to acknowledge that :)

Unknown said...

oh I was talking about Naive by The Kooks!